An especially uncommon banknote licensed by Paper Cash Warranty (PMG) realized a record-setting $456,000 in a sale offered by Heritage Auctions. Three different PMG-graded notes additionally realized costs over $100,000 on the Central States Forex Signature Public sale, held April 21-23, 2021.
The 1928 $10,000 Federal Reserve Be aware (Kansas Metropolis) graded PMG 30 Very Wonderful (lot 22175) almost doubled its pre-auction estimate of $250,000 and up. Solely 10 of those 1928 Sequence notes are recognized to have survived, together with two in museums, in response to Heritage. This exceptionally uncommon piece can be the primary of those notes recognized from the Kansas Metropolis District.
The $456,000 value set a brand new file for a bit of Small Measurement US foreign money. A brand new benchmark had simply been established three months earlier by the “Del Monte” error note. That 1996 $20 Federal Reserve Be aware (St. Louis), graded PMG 64 Alternative Uncirculated EPQ with an Obstructed Printing Error, realized $396,000 in one other Heritage sale. Its nickname derives from a banana sticker that discovered its manner onto the entrance of the word between printings.
“Heritage Auctions is at all times excited to supply trophy notes like this $10,000 word and the ‘Del Monte’ word,” mentioned Dustin Johnston, Vice President of Forex Auctions at Heritage. “Trade-leading grading offers bidders added confidence. The assurances that PMG certification offers are integral to the worth of iconic numismatic rarities.”
One other high-denomination word licensed by PMG was the second-highest lot within the public sale. That word, a 1934 $5,000 Federal Reserve Be aware (St. Louis), graded PMG 64 Alternative Uncirculated (lot 22173), realized $168,000. This is among the highest-graded examples amongst simply over 100 $5,000 Small Measurement Federal Reserve Notes within the PMG Inhabitants Report.
“PMG is thrilled to have licensed so lots of the world’s biggest paper cash rarities,” mentioned Chad Hawk, PMG Grading Finalizer. “Given heightened curiosity in numismatics lately, I’ve little doubt we’ll see extra PMG-certified banknotes setting data within the close to future.”
Different PMG-certified highlights within the sale included:
- A 1934 $5,000 Federal Reserve Be aware (Dallas) graded PMG 58 Alternative About Uncirculated (lot 22174) that realized $144,000
- A Third Concern 10 Cents Fractional Forex graded PMG 40 Extraordinarily Wonderful (lot 22019) that realized $108,000
- A gaggle of 4 1899 $1 Silver Certificates: two graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ, one graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ, and one graded PMG 58 Alternative About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 22057) — with consecutive serial numbers, together with a strong 9s and a “100 Million” — that realized $66,000
- An 1880 $100 Silver Certificates graded PMG 30 Very Wonderful (lot 22080) that realized $55,200
- An 1880 $50 Silver Certificates graded PMG 20 Very Wonderful (lot 22076) that realized $45,000
- A gaggle of two 1934/1934A $1,000 Federal Reserve Notes (Kansas Metropolis) graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ and PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 22172) — attributed as a Reverse Changeover Pair — that realized $43,200
- A 1928 $1,000 Gold Certificates graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated (lot 22182) that realized $38,400
- A 1776 Continental Forex $20 graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated and pedigreed to Eric P. Newman (lot 22001) that realized $33,600
Costs realized embody purchaser’s premium.